Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon May 13, 2002  2:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] performance rights

One last thing - with ASCAP, you will have to pay a royalty even if your
venue has only 30 seats and you charge no admission fee. It's a very small
royalty - the last time I did a concert with ASCAP work in it was a free
recital in a 300-seat venue, and I paid ASCAP $14 - this was about 5 years
ago. Fees have probably increased slightly, but until you start getting up
to the $50/ticket 1500 seat venue range, you'll find they're lower than
you expect.

Also, it always pays to check with the venue where you are performing. If
they are actually SPONSORING your concert - even if it's a church concert
series - and they already pay ASCAP fees, you should be covered by their
"umbrella" and won't need to pay the fees yourself.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
The ones I love are incapable of ill will, and return love for hatred....
[They] who serve both friend and foe with equal love....Such as these
are dear to me. [Bhagavad Gita, Chap. 12]

Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate
you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that
ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven. [Matt. 5:44-48]

emusic.com