Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael Eckford" <michaelb@i...>
Date:  Thu May 9, 2002  12:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] "Cyberotic" WAS Invitation to check out some songs and site

Hello all,

Christine wrote:
> >Sounds like an invitation to a porn site (or a virus). I'm not going
> >there....

Well, I just went and quickly checked it out and I'm kind of glad I did,
just because Bill's website is another reminder to me of stuff to which I
aspire - to organize and create my life so that I may be putting out
recordings and internet stuff that reflect whatever I may offer with my own
music to market to the world... something like that...

I have a certain half-baked theory that those who control marketing control
the universe, which need not be a necessarily bad thing... corporate global
greed notwithstanding...

Or, to put it in perhaps a rather less weird way, I have a certain healthy
envy of you, Bill, because in your own way, with your own music, with your
own well-produced website, you are putting out who you are... It occurs to
me that all of us here in this forum, so aspire in all our wonderfully
diverse ways...

Back to marketing for moment, Christine does have a point - Much of our
contemporary culture is very messed up about (what is and what is not...)
eroticism, porn and all other such, um, interconnected stuff (yet another
potential "backstage" topic...). While I do not personally have a problem
with eroticism as such in marketing, many others do and it occurs to me that
if I were marketing a cd or any other product for that matter, I would be
very careful in researching market demograhics and such. Having actually
gone to your website, Bill, I can see this is not really an issue here at
all. The stuff you do I would describe as "metal", "speed metal" or some
such, kind of like like what guitarists like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and
others do. I enjoyed what I heard on your site...

In your original post, perhaps if you had briefly described what your music
is about, as I have attempted here, you might get more folks to your
website. Once people know your music is a certain style of rock, I suspect
they would probably be in a demographic that would be more accepting than
others of a title like "Cyberotic", After all, attempting to not really get
into this here, sex and rock & roll do have certain, um, historical
connections... puns may or may not be intended...

My own performing tends to be "classical" singing and as a listener, I
listen to whatever I like, which can be funk, world, jazz, Broadway,
classical, rock, metal, wood, water, earth, wind and fire... yeah, that's
it... silence is still my favourite sound...

Cheers.

Michael Eckford michaelb@i...

Earth, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

"Trust that still, small voice that says, 'This might work and I'll try it.
'" --Diane Mariechild

"What is the most difficult of all? What seems the easiest to you: To see
with your eyes what lies before your eyes." --Goethe

"Four Principles of Healing: Dancing, Singing, Silence, Enchantment with
your own story."

emusic.com