Vocalist.org archive

From:  "arado_ge" <arado_ge@y...>
Date:  Wed May 8, 2002  12:43 pm
Subject:  Breakthrough!!!

Dear Vocalisers!!

For once I am not writing with a problem, I am writing to tell you
about my breakthrough in my last lesson since it may be of interest
to some of you.

I've always had a problem getting a "vibrato", low notes were a
problem at one stage and my voice just didn't have that "ring" to
it. My teacher has made me do nothing but exercises for months now:
tongue, jaw, "blocking" and "unblocking" the nose, NGs, staccato
etc. In my last lesson I was having problems getting higher notes
(now that the low ones are there right down to an E below middle
C!!!) so I decided to put my hand on my chin and pull back and down
on it slightly to stop it jumping forward. Well!!!!!! It was
AMAZING!!!! My teacher then made me do the entire remainder of the
lesson holding my chin back because suddenly the vibrato appeared,
the "ring" appeared, my "o" vowel which usually "jumps" forward into
a little girl sound was placed right where it should be. I can't
believe the breakthrough from just that.

I was trying to get the jaw position right before but not really
correctly whereas when I hold it I really feel when it jumps forward
and I automatically loosen the jaw and open the whole throat area!!

I don't know if this info is any use to any of you from a pedagogical
point of view but I just wanted to share it with you because the
change has really reaffirmed why I love singing!!!

Kirsty

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19044 Re: Breakthrough!!!Karen Mercedes   Wed  5/8/2002

emusic.com