Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu May 25, 2000  9:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] RE: Power in different parts of the range question (TECH)

Aha, but don't laugh - a lot of people really think that basses are long
and lean, tenors short and plump etc. And yet I can't entirely dismiss
these ideas as having *some* validity, despite the obvious exceptions, such
as Domingo or Corelli. The subject of Fach is something I might be more
personally secure with if I lived in a larger centre and had more
experience of live mature singers. My recent trip to the Met hardly counts
as my seat was about 120 feet away from, and about 60 feet above the stage,
and I was not used to the acoustic properties of that hall, and every time
an audience member sneezed or rustled a programme my ability to hear sung
consonants collapsed.
Comparisons may be odious, but they're also useful in allowing us to
tailor our ambition to reality.
But I digress - it *is* funny. john
... I'm a 5'8 and a half mesomorph, which really ought to suggest high