Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Tue Apr 30, 2002  8:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Principles of Voice Production

Mike it seems we must agree to disagree. The sense of
high or low even relates to the chest or head voice and there
is absolutely no doubt that the Buddhist monks performing their
gut rumblings here at the moment, describe their sensations as
LOW. Though I must admit a passing understanding of their
language, so it fact you may yet be correct. Still, when they
gesture in the direction of the ground as they describe it, I get
the impression they are referring to how they feel about the pitch
rather than inviting me prayer. I could be wrong.
Reg.

> you refer to 'high' and 'low' as if pitch were a matter of height,
not
>frequency (why else would the term 'loft' make sense to you?). 'high' and
>'low', concerning pitch, refers to high and low speed (frequency), not
>location. a lot of singers have sensations that would correspond to this
>notion of height but, there are quite a few who have the opposite
sensation.
> there is no correlation between the varying height of sensation and the
>changing of pitch.
>
>mike

emusic.com