Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Apr 27, 2002  10:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Viva la mamma!

Christine Thomas wrote:

> I just got cast in VIVA LA MAMMA as Dorothea. Apparently it's a role only in
the first act -- anyone know anything about it?

Chris, this is Donizetti? I thought it is a one-acter. At
Wolf Trap last summer, it was the second act to Mozart's
"The Impressario" first act. The lead role (Mamma) was sung
by a baritone in drag. It was a riot! But I imagine very
hard for any of the supporting cast to make an impression
with.

I'm not remembering who Dorothea is - I think the mezzo in
the opera being produced, and I think it was a rather small
role. The mezzo who sang it at Wolf Trap made much more of
an impression as Marcellina in the Filene Center Figaro.

I was trying to check the Wolf Trap web site to see if there
was anything about their production online, but the web site
appears to be down at the moment - you might want to try it:
http://www.wolf-trap.org

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...