Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <rossicaio@h...>
Date:  Sat Apr 27, 2002  1:46 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Principles of Voice Production

Mike:> with the recent discussion of whether or not male pop singers use
head voice,there was the suggestion that head voice use in a male singer is
exclusive to those who have reached a certain level of skill. while i
agree that head voice usage, as exhibited by franco corelli, pavarotti and
even bocelli, is a special skill, i also believe that head voice, as used by
paul mccartney, stevie wonder and maurice white is also a special skill,
though these last three may have, more or less, stumbled upon their use of
it.<

Hi,

This is how I experience it:

- My head voice, of the "controversial kind" ( hard rock style ), is the
REAL head voice. Not falsetto or "turbo-falsetto": the voice is not airy and
it's very, VERY ringy. It feels like the vocal cords are just two very thin
layers, so thin that they vibrate like crazy with practically no airflow;

- My mix voice sounds and is placed, in terms of resonance, between my REAL
head voice and my chest voice;

- My operatic head and mix voices sound and feel like there are thicker
layers to be vibrated: I need more air and they sound "thicker".

- In terms of speech, I can clearly use the non-operatic head and mix voices
for such purpose, and I'm convinced those are the registers actors are
supposed to use on stage in order to project their voices so that the deaf
old lady sitting at the last row can hear them ( as actors here generally
put it ).

Caio

emusic.com