Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Apr 26, 2002  10:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Dramatic Arias for Mezzos

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Tia Pickeral wrote:

> Dear Vocalists:
> I'm in the process of choosing audition pieces for
> my university's voice program. I'm going to perform
> "Voi Che Sapete", but I need a dramatic aria to show
> variety. I'm leaning toward "O Ma Lyre Imortelle" by
> Gounod. I am a lyric mezzo, with a lot of vocal
> power. I have to say my acting is one of my strengths,
> but I don't want to venture into something like Verdi,
> b/c I'm only 21. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

So you definitely mean "dramatic" in the literal sense, rather than the
vocal sense ("dramatic mezzo").

I'm presuming you're also looking for your second aria to be in a
different language (not Italian).

As for the Gounod, that particular aria has never done much for me. Have
you considered any of the following:

Must the winter come so soon? - from Barber's VANESSA

Va! Laissez couler mes larmes - from Massenet's WERTHER

En vain pour eviter - from Bizet's CARMEN

Where shall I fly? - from Handel's HERCULES

Iris, hence away - from Handel's SEMELE

Why is death forever late? - from Arne's ARTAXERXES

When I am laid in earth - from Purcell's DIDO AND AENEAS

There are others in Italian that might work for you. Let me know if you're
interested. Of course, if you want real "over the top" drama, why not do
Mad Margaret's scene ("Cheerily carols the lark") from Gilbert &
Sullivan's RUDDIGORE?

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,