Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Apr 26, 2002  8:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Weird audition?

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Margaret Harrison wrote:

> I found that web site and the list of songs. I think "You
> Light Up My Life" is the song that would blow them away!
> (only half-joking)

The trouble is that 16 measures of ANY of those songs is insufficient,
IMO, to demonstrate my ability to sing "Climb ev'ry mountain". My
inclination at this point is to go with the last chorus of Stephen Adams'
"The Holy City", which is only 12 measures long, but packs more into those
12 measures than any of the songs on their accompanied song list.

But then, I've also always felt that singing a capella at an audition is a
sign of lack of professionalism. So I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

The way "God Bless America" is scored, unfortunately, 16 bars would only
enable me to do the final two declamations of "God bless America, my home
sweet home".

Sadly, I have three other songs that show off my range, dramatic
abilities, tessitura abilities, etc. that I spent a lot of time elegantly
"collapsing" to meet a 16-measure requirement of a previous audition. None
of them, however, are on the approved list.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.
- Proverbs 3:6

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18950 Re: Weird audition?Lee Morgan   Sat  4/27/2002

emusic.com