Vocalist.org archive

From:  omigurt@a...
Date:  Fri Apr 26, 2002  5:21 pm
Subject:  re: when to say no and how

Milena, your teacher, if s/he is experienced, is probably correct that your
cords are ok. Still the fatigue is real and must be acknowledged. You are
right that you must change *something* in order to protect yourself.

What's helped me enormously in similiar situations is to take a few days off
-- even just two or three -- and spend the time not singing, not even
speaking much, and doing everything I can do to relax and recover. For me,
that meant drinking herb tea and reading a good book and going to the movies.
For others, it may also include meditation, yoga, exercise, watching TV,
reading magazines, going to the pet store to visit the bunnies...whatever.
The point is to slow way down and give your body a chance to rest and restore.

The people who say they can't afford to take time off are the people who need
it the most and can't afford NOT to.

It's probably also worth considering talking to the director of EVITA and
asking about the possibility of getting an understudy. Better they spend the
effort on it now and find it unnecessary than procrastinate it and find it
necessary.

My 2cents!

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com