Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Ja-Naé" Duane <elektra1313@y...>
Date:  Fri Apr 26, 2002  3:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Dramatic Arias for Mezzos

--- Tia Pickeral <brightmans@y...> wrote:
> I'm in the process of choosing audition pieces
> for my university's voice program. I'm going to
>perform "Voi Che Sapete", but I need a dramatic aria
>to show variety. I'm leaning toward "O Ma Lyre
>Imortelle" by Gounod. I am a lyric mezzo, with a
>lot of vocal power. I have to say my acting is one of
>my strengths,but I don't want to venture into
>something >like Verdi, b/c I'm only 21.
> Tia

Tia.....

I don't know your voice at all (obviously). But I get
EXTREMELY concerned when I hear of 21 year old mezzos
saying that they're going to sing things like
Mascagni. As a baby dramatic mezzo (and I'm 24)......I
can tell you that your auditioners will get nervous
hearing you sing that, or that you even brought it to
them. Things that I sing which may also work for you
are:

Stella del Marinar (La Gioconda)
Va! Laisse Couler mes Larmes (Werther)
Pauline's Aria (Pique Dame)
Smanie (Cosi)
Dido's Lament (Dido and Aeneas)
I don't judge you John (Crucible)

I hope that helps alittle. But trust me,you're still
young and singing Mascagni will give you more grief
then it's worth.

Just my suggestions. Good luck with the audition.

Ja-Nae

=====
Up and Coming diva,founder of the National Artistic Effort, and expert
self-promoter, Ja-Nae Duane, is taking the music world by storm.....one gig at a
time.
Check out:http://www.Ja-Nae.com

For more information on the National Artistic Effort, please go
to:http://us.geocities.com/elektra1313/index.html
Join the Club!:NAE@yahoogroups.com

18938 Re: Dramatic Arias for MezzosMs Christine Zimmermann   Fri  4/26/2002
18939 Re: Dramatic Arias for MezzosJa-Naé Duane   Fri  4/26/2002

emusic.com