Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SlightlyoffBroadway" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Thu Apr 25, 2002  4:29 pm
Subject:  Re: teaching theory in singing lessons

Peggy said:

"I have a problem when singers are treated differently from other musicians
in terms of being asked to be knowledgeable of the fundementals of
musicianship, including music theory. For example, I think singers as well
as violinists and flautists (for example) should know about keys and key
signatures, clefs, meters, scales, modes, chord notation, how modulations
work, proper music notation, etc."

Just confirming that I in no way implied that singers would NOT learn these
other fundamentals of music theory, however, brand new singers (I teach a
lot of 12-16 yr. olds) are first and foremost learning to sing. There is
time for those who continue to study toward examinations and performances
outside of the studio recital environment to learn the "rest" of the
theoretical subject matter when the time is right. My comments were in
regard to "introducing" theory into the lessons which I know is not done in
many studios and for that reason, many singers are treated "beneath"
musicians who have learned these skills.
Jacqueline

jaxsobcon@n...
Visit our website at:
http://www.slightlyoffbroadway.com
Read Jacqueline's musical theatre articles at:
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre
and
http://www.musicaltheatreinfo.com

Have fun at:
www.geocities.com/sloffbrdway

"There's no business like show business"

emusic.com