Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SlightlyoffBroadway" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Wed Apr 24, 2002  3:59 pm
Subject:  Re: teaching theory during voice lessons

I do it all the time as part of the whole "technical" side of the lessons.
I don't use the theory books on the market because they are definitely
geared to instrumentalists.
Instead, I have the student sing interval drills that teach them all the
intervals within the diatonic scale and we discuss how singers sight sing
using intervals.
This greatly helps those who want to have somewhat of an understanding of
reading the score but are wishing to learn to sing more than to learn to
read music.
Also, I deal with time signatures and note values from the beginning. That
way, with each piece of music they learn, they begin to understand why notes
are held (or not held for that matter) and what is indicated by the rests.
I believe that they become more "whole" musicians in this approach.
If they continue on in a more "serious" study program and begin taking
exams, at some point they are required to get a theory text and write theory
exams as a co-requisite.
Those singers who began studying even this preliminary type of theory find
the theory exams so much easier than transfer students who have never been
given any such info.
I guess I've seen so many "mimics" in studios. They can imitate specific
singers and styles but don't sing as themselves. They can only make the
music by copying and I prefer them to try to initiate from their own
talents.
Until there's a theory book or course specifically for singers, I will
continue to make up lessons and explanations relevant to the repertoire my
students study.
Hope this helps,
Jacqueline
jaxsobcon@n...
Visit our website at:
http://www.slightlyoffbroadway.com
Read Jacqueline's musical theatre articles at:
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre
and
http://www.musicaltheatreinfo.com

Have fun at:
www.geocities.com/sloffbrdway

"There's no business like show business"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18902 Re: teaching theory during voice lessonsMargaret L. Harrison   Wed  4/24/2002
18904 Re: teaching theory during voice lessonsChristine Thomas   Wed  4/24/2002
19011 Re: teaching theory during voice lessonsMFoxy9795@a...   Fri  5/3/2002

emusic.com