Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ms Christine Zimmermann <zimmecp@y...>
Date:  Wed Apr 24, 2002  3:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Exploitation of children who sing - & retort

Ok...my two cents...because i just must...
1. When I was a young teenager I wanted to be in the
high school musicals so my mom found me a voice
teacher...my teacher was very careful not to push and
the lessons gave me the confidence to get through the
audition (I learned a great deal about music theory
here too!) I sang the showtunes...and even worked out
a little bit of choreography (in hindsight...probably
to spend time not singing! but that is ok!) So
definetly guide these children...and giving back to
the community is always wonderful...however...
2. the voice of a young singer should probably not be
compared to a cello...while the voice is certainly
equally beautiful...last time i checked a cello (while
it can be effected by the weather) doesn't have
hormones like teenagers do...for that matter no one
has hormones quite like teenagers do...the vocal
mechanism it one of the last body parts to develop
(and as my feet had a growth spur when i was 23...i
can assure you...my voice changed with them!)
ok and a third cent...
I hope you don;t pass along the negative nasty
additude of your "retort post" to your students...
chances are if they are underprivledged they aren't
getting ettiquette lessons at home...teach by example
here!
christine