Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Tue Apr 23, 2002  8:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] teaching theory during voice lessons?

EdgewoodVoiceStudio wrote:

>Does anyone have a method for teaching music
>theory interwoven with teaching vocal technique during private voice
>lessons?

Deanna,
I use Barbara Wharram's book "Elementary Rudiments of Music" (Frederick
Harris pub.) and do a few minutes at almost every lesson. I also use a
series of graded sight singing books and rhythmic clapback/playback
books also published by Frederick Harris. The Berkowitz and Adler sight
singing books cover a lot of territory and are good to have on hand as
additional material. There are lots of other good theory books out there
as well. I chose the Wharram because it prepares students for the RCM
theory exams for which they can get some high school credit here in
Canada. For adults who might not be interested in things like C clefs
and writing in open and closed scores, there are other books and sources
that you can use. "The Rough Guide to Reading Music & Basic Theory"
published by Rough Guides is really good at simple clear explanations,
however it is a bit short on exercises that help a student understand
the concepts and put them in use. I make up exercises to complement the
information in the Rough Guide.
Hope this helps!
Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18880 Re: teaching theory during voice lessons?EdgewoodVoiceStudio   Tue  4/23/2002

emusic.com