Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Apr 23, 2002  7:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] teaching theory during voice lessons?

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:26:54 -0700 EdgewoodVoiceStudio
<EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...> wrote:

>>Does anyone have a method for teaching music
theory interwoven with teaching vocal technique during private voice lessons?
If you do, I would love some coaching and suggestions with specifics on how you
go about doing it. Deanna Reitan

Well, when I took piano lessons in high school, my teacher also did music theory
with me. She got me a music theory text-workbook, and we went through the
material in each section, and I did the excercises at home and brought them back
into the lesson. It was pretty basic stuff - scales, triads, simple chord
progressions, etc. I think there wouldn't be enough time to do this during a 1/2
hour lesson, but during an hour lesson, devoting 10 or 15 minutes to theory
would work out well.

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18870 Re: teaching theory during voice lessons?Dean FH Macy   Tue  4/23/2002
18873 Re: teaching theory during voice lessons?Craig Tompkins   Tue  4/23/2002
18880 Re: teaching theory during voice lessons?EdgewoodVoiceStudio   Wed  4/24/2002

emusic.com