Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Apr 23, 2002  5:06 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Weird audition?

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, John Messmer, M.D. wrote:

> got through "summer.") Consider that for Sound of Music they may be
> trying out dozens of children with limited singing experience. Now I

The number of children auditioning is not a factor here. Children and
adults are being auditioned at separate auditions.

As I clarified yesterday, my guess is that it's a simple matter of having
an accompanist with no sight-reading skills, as people are explicitly
welcome to sing songs not on the approved list, if they are willing to
sing them acapella.

What I'm trying to find out now is whether they would object to my
bringing my own accompanist, as I have a friend who has kindly volunteered
to help me out in this. On the other hand, I don't want to tread on
anyone's toes or make it seem like I'm trying to get an unfair advantage.
Frankly, I just want to do as good an audition as possible - and I just
don't see that singing "God bless America" is going to do as much for me -
or for the auditors - as singing something that shows more of my true
vocal and dramatic potential.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,