Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Mon Apr 22, 2002  10:56 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Weird audition?

Just a wild guess here as I don't have scads of experience with
auditions, but having just auditioned two days ago for Sound of Music
for our local community theater with an accompanist who can pretty well
get through most things presented, it might be that the music director
only wants to see the quality and range of your voice. In the case of
our audition, singers could sing whatever they wanted but were stopped
after about 32 measures. (I sang "If Ever I Would Leave You" but only
got through "summer.") Consider that for Sound of Music they may be
trying out dozens of children with limited singing experience. Now I
understand that it would be nice to see how expressive you are, how good
you are at delivery, your stage presence, etc., etc., but maybe the
FIRST audition will sort out the obviously unacceptable voices, sort out
the acceptables into potential roles THEN have call backs to try to fine
tune the selection by allowing you to sing whatever you want.

It will be interesting to see.

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18864 Re: Weird audition?Karen Mercedes   Tue  4/23/2002
18869 Re: Weird audition?Lloyd W. Hanson   Tue  4/23/2002

emusic.com