Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Apr 22, 2002  6:37 pm
Subject:  I was right...

My brain switched on a moment ago, and I decided to check the website of
the SOUND OF MUSIC theatre company, which has the following announcement:

"Music: Everyone must sing 16 measures from any song. At the director's
request, please do not plan singing a song from the musical (there will
be enough of them by the end of the summer) Music and words for a
select list of songs (see this list!) will be provided
at the audition; these songs will have piano accompaniment and
can be played in various keys for your convenience. If you wish to sing
another song not on the list, be prepared to sing the 16 measures a
cappella."

So my initial suspicion that they're accompanist is unable/unwilling to
sight-read seems to be correct.

Interestingly, the ad does not include the other obvious alternative:
"Feel free to bring your own accompanist or accompaniment on tape."

I've just looked over their list, and frankly the only songs on it
even remotely appropriate for a Mother Superior audition are "America the
Beautiful" and "God Bless America" - and then only if I interpolate a good
sustained high note at the end. It's either that, or find a karaoke
accompaniment for "You'll never walk alone", which would seem the obvious
choice of song for this audition.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.
- Proverbs 3:6

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18844 Re: I was right...Margaret L. Harrison   Mon  4/22/2002
18845 Re: I was right...Erica Zweig   Mon  4/22/2002

emusic.com