Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sun Apr 21, 2002  4:34 pm
Subject:  amazing bad luck

I had to share this because it's incredible bad luck (funny because it's so
incredible)...and maybe not too unusual for a place that has very few cultural
opportunities. My voice teacher was to have maternity leave until the 12th of
this month, and if you have followed this saga you'll know I haven't had a
lesson on well over two months due to her being at home, during this time she
refused to return phone calls and if you were fortunate enough to speak to her
she was aloof and annoyed. She didn't show up for her first lesson after
maternity leave and would not answer her phone. Yesterday I called the music
store where she teaches and was told that she would indeed be in to teach
another "first" lesson after maternity leave. She never showed up. Which is
laughable! I called her twice and finally she answered the phone and in a
rather bored annoyed voice told me "no, she wasn't coming in" I asked her when
she planned on teaching another lesson she said maybe sometime in May. I could
actually feel my face getting red when I was talking to her. I told her I
hadn't seen in in over two months, she never returned phone calls and at this
point I thought perhaps I should find someone else. She said "whatever if
that's the way you feel" I asked her if she could refund the month I had already
paid for and she said she would have to look in her notes, I asked her to take
down my address so she could send me a check and she said "no, I am holding my
baby right now" I was just about to the boiling point when she said that. I
asked her why she hadn't called any of us to reschedule and she did't say
anything. I asked her about her recital and she said, "well I will just move
that up I don't know when" and mind you she has students who have been scared to
death they would be performing selections they have had no teacher for NEXT
week. She called NO ONE to tell them not to worry or to chill out...she simply
did nothing. I honestly just had to laugh. I cannot imagine who in their right
mind would defend a teacher like this! OH and let me add....she ended the call
by saying "I am a very busy person you know and I have a lot going on right now"
It was classic. her hand out of "policies" seems like toilet paper, because
everything it says is nonesense. I would like my month refunded, I do plan on
contacting the music store about her, and requesting they get some sort of
address for her so that I may write and ask for a check.

So it just goes to show you it IS possible to have really really bad luck
finding a teacher. I cannot imagine how her behavior could be defended, when I
asked why she wasn;t coming in yesterday she said "well we're moving so I am
packing". And I know for a fact that she had students waiting for her at her
studio. No one was called and frankly she couldn't have cared less. If she had
cared less she would have been in a coma!

SOOOOO teacher number THREE....who is supposed to be the BEST around. Very
elderly man named Gordon Gaines, has taught several opera stars, and many a
voice teacher. He was Professor Emeritus at my university for 35 years. I have
full faith he won't flake out!!!!

Lea Ann

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18823 Re: amazing bad luckmichael.chesebro   Mon  4/22/2002
18824 Re: amazing bad luckMilena Sertich Grubor   Mon  4/22/2002
18847 Re: amazing bad luckMs Christine Zimmermann   Mon  4/22/2002

emusic.com