Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Robert Edgar" <redgar@b...>
Date:  Sat Apr 20, 2002  4:11 am
Subject:  Aria for an 11 year old?

I agree with the posting that suggested the student wait for 10 years before
singing operatic arias. I think that making a child so young sing operatic
arias is too much on the vocal mechanism. Depending on the maturity and
growth rate of this child, the vocal mechanism is only in its beginning
growing stages, and according to Lyn Gackle, girls go through at least 4
different stages. This student should only be learning breathing techniques,
correct diction, some techniques including open throat etc all within her
present capibilities and using material for her age level. There are
thousands of songs for her to sing. If she wants to eventually sing in
opera, maybe she should be learning some of her crafts of style and
character etc through some musical comedy/theatre pieces such as 'Castle On
A Cloud' and selections from Oliver, Sound of Music and some Walt Disney
pieces. Let her be a child first.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18820 Re: Aria for an 11 year old?bjjocelyn@p...   Sun  4/21/2002

emusic.com