Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Wed May 24, 2000  4:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] RE: (Tech) Question about Fach (tenor arias)

--- Tako Oda <toda@m...> wrote:
> Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...> wrote:
> > Completely unrelated question -- how many tenor
> arias actually require
> > the high C?
> Is the high note in La Boheme a C or Cb? and :
What are some other "rude" > tenor high notes
> that were actually notated? Anyone?
Dear Ingo, Tako and list:
Puccini's Que gelida manina from La Boheme has an a'
flat, with a written optional c''. Although some
tenors transposed it, I think nobody ever sang the a
flat!
'Ah, mes amis!', from Donizetti's 'La fille du
Regiment' made Pavorotti famous, because he did sing
nine chest high c's there: 4x a middle c (c') each
time followed by two high c's (c'') and one long high
c at the end. I don't have the score though, but I
think they're even written.
Then there is another Italian opera with even a high f
(f''), I cannot remember the name at the moment, but
Pav did even that note in chest voice in his glory
days.
An opera that is more famous because of a high tenor
note than because of the opera itself, is Adolphe
Adam's 'Le postillon de Longjumeau'. The story is
about a guy whose bride is kidnapped by her female
friends for some strange French traditional reason.
The poor guy has to sing to get her back, and
apparantly his longing for the wedding night is so
big, that he presses a high d out of his chest. It
then happens that a marquis, who is looking for a
tenor for the King's opera comes by, hears him sing
and more or less captures the guy, by offering him a
splendid future as his Majesty's tenor. So the wedding
night is off and the guy keeps singing high notes
until the end of the opera where he and the bride he
abondened mary again, or for the first time really,
since the first marriage has not been consumed, as
catholics call it.

Cheers,
Dre.