Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Mon Apr 15, 2002  8:42 pm
Subject:  Re: 2 questions. Exercise and smoking

> I'm wondering what any of you do as far as any
> physical exercise routines to
> improve your singing. Do you do any and what sort?
> Do you think it is
> necessary?

I always have a physical warm-up/workout before I sing
(even if the singing is just a few minutes of
vocalizing because that's all I have time for). I
either go to the gym or the pool (love aquacize), but
I also have an exercise bike parked in front of my tv
for when I don't have much time or am too lazy to
leave the house. I find that singing is much easier,
my support and breath control are better, and I sound
better when I've physically warmed up prior to
singing. I absolutely think it is necessary. And if
you're planning on having any kind of career as an
opera singer or musical theatre singer or pop singer,
you will likely experience times when you will have to
dance or run around while singing, and the better
shape you are in the easier it will be to do it
without getting out of breath (which is something
every singer needs to avoid).

As for smoking, I think everyone else has already said
everything that needs to be said. It's bad for your
health and your singing, and it's bad for the people
around you. If you plan on having any kind of serious
career as a singer, or living out a normal life span,
or having your family living out a normal life span (I
think smoking regularly around young children should
be considered a form of physical abuse), or having a
broad choice in partners (I won't date people who
smoke, for eg), you probably shouldn't smoke.

Jennifer