Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Wed May 24, 2000  11:56 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Hurting support muscles was: 1st recital, longish etc.

Dear Dre,

I'm not sure if this will go to the list or you
direct, I've confused myself a bit!

I think that little bit of pain you experienced is
simply no more than I thought before: just some
nervous tension. If it went away almost immediately,
never to return, I think you're quite safe: you won't
have a hernia just yet! I thought Mary Beth's essay
re. breath pressure was very interesting, and quite
right, and the other lister who's name I can't
remember offhand about singing low notes was a good
description too. I always tell my students that in
some ways, low notes are harder to do well than high
notes. By the nature of the mechansim, the voice tends
to work better higher, simply because it has to,
whereas on a low C, for example, which is much nearer
to our own speaking range, because it's easy, it can
be hard to achieve a really good sound. Hence, that's
when trouble starts as we often push (I do it myself
and then get cross!) I don't entirely agree with him
that you should sing without any mix the lower you go;
I guess it's a personal thing, but I always like to
keep some head tone throughout my range. I find it is
that 'ring' in the sound that of course gives it it's
carrying power. A fine filigree sound down low, will
be much more impressive than a big blustery sound that
doesn't go anywhere past row C of the stalls!

Take care, and keep up the good work!

Ian