Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Apr 15, 2002  3:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Do they sound like opera singers? [WAS: trading low notes for a higher tessitura?]

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, John Link wrote:

> Peggy, thank you for your interest. My vocal quintet performs a
> repertoire that spans a number of genres, classical, jazz, folk, and
> bluegrass among them. For maximum contrast in a program we might
> follow a Nocturne by Chopin with blues by Miles Davis. If we sound
> like classical singers when singing Chopin and jazz singers when
> singing Miles Davis, I think that we would sound foolish. My
> intention is that we just sing the music without enacting compulsions
> associated with genres.

Despite the fact that those "compulsions", as you term them, may well
represent both the technical and stylistics conventions that the composers
of the music would have expected the performers to follow?

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.
- Proverbs 3:6

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18745 Re: Do they sound like opera singers? [WAS: tradiJohn Link   Tue  4/16/2002

emusic.com