Vocalist.org archive

From:  Helen Duggan <qed@n...>
Date:  Sun Apr 14, 2002  4:31 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Off topic: Practice/se

> Once a doctor used to practice medicine in his medical practise,
> no more I see. Either will do. What HAVE you done?? :)

Actually it's the other way round here. Doctors practise (verb), but have a
practice (noun). Confusing for many (particularly if notions of parts of speech
are not understood) and disappearing in many quarters, probably because of the
US English spelling checking in word processors. (It was once possible to get
an Australian English dictionary for the one's word processor, but I haven't
seen or heard of one for years.)

Helen Duggan
qed@n...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18717 Re: Off topic: Practice/seReg Boyle   Sun  4/14/2002
18752 Re: Off topic: Practice/seDré de Man   Tue  4/16/2002

emusic.com