Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Apr 13, 2002  9:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical Singer ?

jgargano wrote:

> I personally think that the classical singer magazine isn't worth the paper
> it's printed on. The only value that it offers are the listings for
> auditions and competitions. Who case about hearing about someone else's
> career success? Seriously. There are alot of wanna bee's who are associated
> with the magazine it's pathetic.

I'm tempted to say this is a matter of opinion. But really,
it is mostly not opinion, but simply inaccurate. I hardly
think interviews with established opera singers, like Dwayne
Croft and Jennifer Larmore, reflect "wannabes". And there
are also helpful articles by established professionals on
interpretation of well-known arias, a regular column by a
doctor (wannabe?) on medical issues affecting singers, and a
series highlighting vocal programs at institutions of higher
learning. I've also enjoyed a recent series by a young
singer on her experiences doing a European audition tour.
Perhaps by Mr. Gargano's definition this young singer is a
"wannabe" - but that doesn't make what she writes any less
interesting, informative or helpful for other singers
contemplating "the tour".

In the interest of full disclosure, I've also written for
the publication - reviews of opera and other vocal
performances. I got paid very little - I did it for the fun
and the experience, and I gained a great deal of
appreciation for the difficulty of the job of newspaper
music reviewer! However, due to the need to cut back costs,
they no longer carry reviews, so there goes my hopes of a
brilliant third career!

In any event, an interested reader should consult back
issues of the magazine at a library and form his/her own
opinion of the quality of the editorial content.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18710 Re: Classical Singer ?PJ. Garner   Sat  4/13/2002
18712 Re: Classical Singer ?Reg Boyle   Sun  4/14/2002
18714 Re: Off topic: Practice/se Kathryn Thickstun Leff   Sun  4/14/2002
18721 Re: Classical Singer ?jgargano   Sun  4/14/2002

emusic.com