Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 11, 2002  2:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] career with kids?

In a message dated 4/10/2002 8:59:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
vmquigley@a... writes:

> Am I wrong to think that I can do this after my kids are all in
> school (that could be 5-6 more years). Will I be too old then? Isn't the
> age limit on some of the contests 32 or something? I know most people get
> their careers going and then have kids but I am determined to make this

Oh my god!! More power to you, is all I can say! I, personally, could never
do it, but that has nothing to do with what would work for you. For me, (at
33) I put off having kids so that I could focus on this career. Even being a
solo entity with an extremely supportive guy, voice teacher, and work
infrastructure (I work from home and take it with me when I have gigs), it is
extremely difficult to manage everything. The amount of band width; mental,
spiritual, and emotional energy it takes to market, prepare and practice,
perform, and travel, is, in itself, almost a full time job. It is all
consuming. And, when you factor in the travelling, you will need to hire a
full time nanny, which is another chink in your overheard and expenses, and
yet another ball to juggle.
The age issue is, in my opinion, more about the fact that as people enter
into their mid to late thirties, they've built a life that is less free and
easy than someone in their twenties, and it makes it that much less
accessible to deal with the vagaries of life as a performing opera singer.
I know that I personally just don't have enough left to give by the end of
the day to a child, which requires your primary attention, and which is why I
have not had one. But 4 or 6 children!! Wow. Very impressive.
TinaO

emusic.com