Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Vanessa M Quigley" <vmquigley@a...>
Date:  Wed Apr 10, 2002  3:59 am
Subject:  career with kids?

I am new to this group and am so thrilled to find such a wonderful resource!

I am hoping some of you may be able to give me some advice.

I have always wanted to be a professional singer. But, when I received my
bachelors degree in vocal performance and pedagogy in 1996, I already had a
one year old son. Plans to enter a masters program were put on the back
burner until I was done having my babies. I just had my 4th a year ago in
February. I am having a blast being a mom! It is what I wanted most to do
with my life. And, I want to have one or 2 more babies before I am done (I
come from a family of 12 kids and loved it!).

Maybe it is because I am turning 30 this year, but all of a sudden I am
worried that time is running out for me. All along I have been singing as
much as I can in church and studying with various teachers in each of the 3
different places we have lived. I just started with a new teacher here in
Boston and she is wonderful. But she is my age and has a lot of credits to
her name. Am I wrong to think that I can do this after my kids are all in
school (that could be 5-6 more years). Will I be too old then? Isn't the
age limit on some of the contests 32 or something? I know most people get
their careers going and then have kids but I am determined to make this
happen.

I'd love to hear from any of you.

Vanessa

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18660 PhoneticsReg Boyle   Thu  4/11/2002
18661 Re: PhoneticsReg Boyle   Thu  4/11/2002
18662 Re: career with kids?ODivaTina@a...   Thu  4/11/2002
18696 Re: career with kids?Isabelle Bracamonte   Sat  4/13/2002

emusic.com