Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Apr 8, 2002  4:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rake's Progress aria

I believe Anne Truelove is considered a lyric soprano role. This said,
quite a few spinto and dramatic sopranos sang lyric roles early in their
careers. So depending on your age, and your ability to sing with
elegance and finesse, I see no reason why you shouldn't sing that aria. I
have a friend who is a true Wagnerian soprano who uses "Ain't it a pretty
night" from SUSANNAH as her English-language audition aria, and no one has
ever suggested to her that she's singing "out of fach".

Of course, it may be more difficult if you were hoping to actually perform
the complete role, because there would also be considerations of the
"weight" of the other voices with which you would be singing. But as an
audition or recital aria - go for it!

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,