Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Mon Apr 8, 2002  1:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] beginning teacher's angst.

--- Molly McLinden <mollythediva@y...> wrote:
HELP! what, as beginning
> teachers, are good basic ped books that explain all
> this? Oh- and my piano is limited. Anyone else with
> this problem....how did you get around it, or how
> are
> you working towards it?
>
> Molly

The Structure of Singing has the best explanation of
registers, passaggi, etc., IMO. I hear the first
volume of the new Wall/Caldwell set has a good
explanation as well, although I have not read it.

I do agree that you should have this knowledge BEFORE
attempting to teach, but that is my answer to your
question.

Piano skills are not as important as you may think
when teaching voice, although they are when coaching
repertoire. As long as you can play well enough to
direct the exercises you want your students to
perform, you are okay. Bring in an accompanist for
the other stuff. In the meantime, take piano with a
teacher who will, in addition to helping you improve
your piano skills, give you tools to "fake"
accompaniments by picking out the stuff that will give
your students an idea of the accompaniment without
having to play ALL the notes!