Vocalist.org archive

From:  "westernactor" <matthewmurray@m...>
Date:  Mon Apr 8, 2002  2:00 am
Subject:  Possibly stupid question: Using your voice too much?

As some of you might be aware, I've taken years and years of singing
lessons, and remain a terrible singer. But there's one thing, that
on recent reflection, I don't entirely understand. I expect this to
have a very logical, simple, common sense answer. (In other words,
I expect it to be like singing for me--the easiest thing in the
world that I just can't grasp.) But I thought I'd ask here.
The goal of singing lessons is to learn how to sing correctly so
that you can sing mostly effortlessly and without hurting yourself
or your vocal folds in the process. Why, then, is such a big deal
made about needing to rest your voice, only doing a certain number
of shows a week, and so on? If you're using your vocal mechanism
correctly, shouldn't you be able to do just about anything you want
with it for as long as you want? Or is it something as simple that,
because of the size of these particular "muscles" (for want of a
better term), they simply get tired more easily, and are thus less
useful for extended periods of singing?
If anyone could explain this to me, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

--Matthew

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18554 Re: Possibly stupid question: Using your voice tGreypins@a...   Mon  4/8/2002
18558 Re: Possibly stupid question: Using your voice tJohn Link   Mon  4/8/2002
18564 Re: Possibly stupid question: Using your voice tEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Mon  4/8/2002

emusic.com