Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Tue May 23, 2000  2:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Supporting low (pp) notes, was: Hurting support muscles

At 05:34 AM 5/23/00 -0700, Dre de Man wrote:

>the idea
>that I was still doing things wrong really made me
>feel quite unpleasant.

and

>This would be different from
>what I've been taught some singing teachers, but on
>the other hand: not everything I've been taught was
>correct, so I am ready to doubt everything I've
>learned, as long as it makes me sing better.

Dre,

Two thoughts on this:

1. Learning to sing is a process, not like flipping a switch on or
off. Even when you've "fixed" a particular problem, it can still come back
to haunt you, in some form or other. Sometimes it's because you've made
some other technical change that then necessitates a change in your
approach to some other area, like producing a more efficient tone and then
finding you need less support that previously. :-)

2. Doubt is not a bad thing! Whether you're studying with a teacher
or not, curiosity and a willingness to explore are *healthy*. In fact,
most good teachers will admit that they don't instantly have *all* the
answers for *every* student - although some principles are fairly
consistent, each person is different, and sometimes it takes some searching
to find those answers.

So - keep singing and keep questioning! Keeping an open mind, as
you seem to be doing, is a big plus to finding out what works for *you*.

Leslie J.

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; Contralto
Dept. of Music, Southeast MO State Univ.
LJones@s... - (573) 651-2339

emusic.com