Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <rossicaio@h...>
Date:  Mon Apr 8, 2002  1:16 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

Alain:>just pinching the nostrils at the voice onset, with the further aid
of thinking that the sound will follow the fingers forward as they depart
from the nostrils... Such a trick would probably give a heart attack to
Richard Miller, but maybe he too has used it! :-)<

After I read Titze sings with a high larynx but advocates a low one, I'll
believe if someone says Seth Riggs sings in falsetto only.

Due to this discussion ( and Mike's resistance ), I paid a lot of attention
to what I felt when I did nasals. I noticed, while doing repeated "ñs"
like our Portuguese EspaNHa, Spanish SpaÑa, or French champaGNe- if I got
it right with my basic French ), that it helps disengage the so-called
"extrinsic muscles" in the neck.

I do some exercises I got from a book, "Is your voice telling on you?", by
Daniel R. Boone, Singular Publishing Group, Inc, which prescribes exercises
that many may consider useless, but definitely WORK. Dr. Boone is a
Professor Emeritus in the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences at the
University of Arizona in Tucson.

He supports that the best resonance is generally felt as if the voice sprang
from the intersection of two lines: the horizontal and the vertical focus
lines. That intersection "sits" ON the tongue, halfway between the front
teeth and the throat. as he puts it:

"Where the tongue is in the mouth contributes to what we call horizontal
focus, and strongly affects our voice resonance. A normal voice has a
balanced horizontal focus; the tongue is neither too far forward not too far
back when we speak. When the tongue is excessively forward... we produce the
kind of voice that was such a problem for Rick (Caio: there are several case
studies in this book, such as Rick's, but some may insist his patients were
too gullible, like those singers who use nasal sounds to "develop" head
voice ) in our first example: weak, thin, and, in his case, with a distinct
lisp. A posterior carriage of the tongue... is the opposite problem... it
sounds like Edgar Bergen's Mortimer Snerd or television's Alf."

"Vertical focus, on the other hand, doesn't involve tongue placement, but
where the voice is produced in relation to the tongue. Some voices sound
locked low in the throat, as was the case with Carl. Other voices sojnd
focused above the tongue, high in the nose... Your MENTAL IMAGE of "placing
your voice" in this position is as important to keeping a good vertical
focus as the position of your tongue is to horizontal focus."

Given that, I do the exercises trying to develop a "higher than the tongue
focus". Here are the exercises I do and help me a lot:

"Correcting back ( posterior) focus

1. Say each of the words below in an abrupt whisper (do not use voice)

PEEP, PIPE, PEACH, PEAS, PEAT, PIE, PATCH

The p sound is made by pursing the lips, filling the cheeks with air, and
suddenly releasing it.

THIS, THAT, THIN, THINK, THICK, THIGH, THATCH

The th sound is made by sticking the tongue out between the front teeth as
you make the sound.

SEE, SAT, SIN, SINK, SICK, SIGH, SEAT

The s sound is made by placing the tip of the tongue behind the upper front
teeth as you make the sound.

2. Now say each of the previous words, first in a whisper and then quickly
with voice. Your voice should feel and sound more forward than back.

3. Elevate your voice pitch by one note and try reading the sentences below
in the higher pitch.

TEACHERS EAT RIPE PEACHES AT THE BEACH.
PETE BOUGHT AN APPLE PIE AT THE BABY BAKERY.
THE THISTLES SPRANG UP BY THE PINE TREE FOREST.
THEY ATE PEACH AND RASPBERRY TARTS AT THE TABLE.
PEOPLE THAT BUY BIG AUTOMOBILES PAY MORE FOR FUEL.
THERE MUST BE FIVE OR SIX PEACH TREE STREETS.
PENNY TYPED ON THE BIG ELECTRIC TYPEWRITER.
THEY BOUGHT A WREATH OF ROSES FOR THE TEACHER.
STOCK PRICES WENT UP BEFORE WE SOLD OUR STOCKS.
THE PEOPLE SEEM TO WANT MORE SPACE EXPLORATION."

"Correcting throat focus

Correcting the problem requires a good mental image of where the voice is
coming from, and using specific focusing exercises to help you place it
where you want.

...3. Make a very nasal voice, placing your voice high up in your nasal
cavities. This is only a temporary step to get your voice out of your
throat. Now, in an exxagerated nasal voice, say:

MANY-MANY-MANY
MAN-OH-MAN-OH-MAN
MONEY-MONEY-MONEY
RINGING-RINGING-RINGING

As you say these words nasally, place your fingers on the bridge of your
nose. You should be able to feel the vibrations of the nasal cartilages and
bones as you speak. To further experience this high nasal focus, say the
following phrases aloud:

MAN IN THE MOON
MANY MEN WANT MORE MONEY
ONE TIME ONLY
MORNING SUN IN THE MORNING"

Well, against all odds, my voice gets much more resonant, WITHOUT SOUNDING
NASAL, after I do those exercises. They're my warm-up exercises before I
start doing the "weees", etc.

Hugs,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com