Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Apr 7, 2002  8:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] nasal consonants as 'head voice' triggers (NOT!)

In a message dated 4/7/2002 3:35:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rossicaio@h... writes:

> Are there any scientific experiments whose results converge into showing
> that subjects using nasal consonants to trigger head voice were not
> successful? I doubt there's ONE at all. On the other hand, they have proved
> empirically effective , otherwise there wouldn't be so many people who have
> profitted from them. They're being superstitious, mistakenly owing that
> achievement to those nasal-sound exercises? Prove it.

caio,

no need to call NASA on this one. the original point was to
illustrate the fact that sensations are misleading. while a large number of
people may stumble into 'head voice' while using nasal consonants, the use of
the nasal was not the cause. even if it were, it is not a sensation that is
easily transferred to syllables using non nasals. just as sensation in the
nose does not, in itself, indicate the presence of 'head voice', neither does
the absence of sensation in the nose, indicate an absence of 'head voice'.

mike

emusic.com