Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Tue May 23, 2000  1:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Supporting low (pp) notes, was: Hurting support muscles

Dear Mary Beth and list,

(Mary Beth,) your mail took a few hours of my sleep. I
must admit, I was defending myself, because the idea
that I was still doing things wrong really made me
feel quite unpleasant. I tried what you said, and it
worked. Then I spend a lot of time, listening to the
recording of my concert and trying to remember what
I've been doing.

Now I think you really helped me to understand what it
was, that I still did not like in my singing: there
was some kind of restlessness in many middle and lower
notes, and the tone-quality also varied: the restless
notes are also less beautiful. I think now this is
because I have been (over-)supporting many of the
lower and middle notes and even pressed them
sometimes.

The funny thing is, that I also do it right many
times, mostly when singing fast and when changing
pitches fast. (That is what gives me also a very
pleasant feeling while singing, probably because I
don't have the time to mess things up!).

To get things straight: when we forget about the pp,
and just talk about mf, am I right, when I assume that
the lower octave hardly needs any support at all, to
be more precise, does the need for support start just
below or at the passagio? This would be different from
what I've been taught some singing teachers, but on
the other hand: not everything I've been taught was
correct, so I am ready to doubt everything I've
learned, as long as it makes me sing better.

Thanks and best wishes,

Dre

1855 Re: Supporting low (pp) notes, was: Hurting suppo Leslie Jones   Tue  5/23/2000   3 KB

emusic.com