Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alain Zurcher" <AZurcher@i...>
Date:  Sun Apr 7, 2002  7:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

Caio Rossi wrote :

<< If I got what you mean, you intend to add the possible "trigger effect" I
hypothesized to the advantage of "Bs" over "Ms"? >>

No, but to extend it to "Ms" produced with closed nostrils. They may sound
like "Bs" to an outside listener, but they will resonate quite differently
for the singer who is producing them...

I just remember that pinching one's nostrils is a common (and ridiculous
looking when done by Neil Shicoff on stage as I saw him do it at Bastille!)
trick among tenors! Actually, I use it from time to time as a baritone -
just pinching the nostrils at the voice onset, with the further aid of
thinking that the sound will follow the fingers forward as they depart from
the nostrils... Such a trick would probably give a heart attack to Richard
Miller, but maybe he too has used it! :-)