Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sun Apr 7, 2002  8:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

At 01:43 AM 7/04/02 +0200, you wrote:
>Reg,
>
>While reading what you wrote about "cord contact" and asymmetry, I was
>wondering whether there was a mode in which the vocal folds would never be
>really open : they would only let small puffs, "bubbles" of air make their
>air between them, but either the bottom or the top part of the folds would
>always be adducted.

Alain I really do not know, except to suggest that such a situation would be
defective condition because the closed phase should be just that ..closed.
Mass and "springiness" are the characteristics necessary to maintain efficient
oscillation of the cords and a leakage during the closed phase would totally
ruin the high Q characteristic needed to facilitate quick pitch changes.

>When one looks at drawings trying to represent the "heavy" mechanism, one
>can conclude that the closed phase is longer than the open one and that
>there would be little change to introduce to the system for the open phase
>never to occur...

I think observation could establish information about the ratio of 'closed to
open' but when it comes to cord velocity I imagine an application for
miniature
Doppler radar and I'm not sure that anything small enough exists. :)

Regards Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18532 Re: how do you define 'head voice'?Reg Boyle   Sun  4/7/2002
18541 Re: how do you define 'head voice'?Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  4/7/2002

emusic.com