Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sun Apr 7, 2002  7:34 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] For Sally.... :)

Dear Sally,
I do not claim to be as conversant with cord activity
as many here, I am only applying my experience with similar
physical mechanisms and the eye-opening information I have
gleaned in the process. I do not know of any application in which
Fourier analysis fails to produce the goods. On the contrary, after
a little visual experience using an oscilloscope it becomes
comparatively easy to guess the harmonic content of a wave form.
One that sticks in my mind is the "head and shoulders" display.
This is only fundamental and 3rd harmonic, practically free of any
higher order content.

Another aside. The phase relationships of the harmonics to the
fundamental and to each other, are very important to the ultimate
wave form but, surprise surprise, the ear cannot tell the difference
even if there is considerable relative phase distortion.
By distortion here I mean phase shift, not clipping or worse.

Sally I understand your problem with inertance but while I try
and see it from where you do, I have a problem with giving it
a very serious impact on the cords as long as the tuning of
the tract is in sympathy with the current operation of the cords.

Different story if they are not tuned.

Another way, the cords are an integral oscillating group,
as such they are presenting a signal to the tract which is
sourced from a generator whose source impedance is NOT
legitimately an impedance, but a dynamic resistance. Non-
reactive. As long as the LOAD is totally resistive, as it reflects
to the "generator," it will NOT upset the conditions in the
generator which will then have MINIMUM energy drawn from
it and thus its flywheel condition will remain stable needing
almost ZERO energy replenishment from the lungs.
Such a condition is just what we all seek with varying
degrees of success.

I'm not at all surprised that you see only sinusoidal content
in falsetto but have you seen anything that enables you to
distinguish the light head voice from the falsetto, despite the
similar quality, for quality, or harmonics, is where I would expect
to see the difference, even if only slight?

Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18545 Re: For Sally.... :)Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  4/7/2002
18557 Re: For Sally.... :)Reg Boyle   Mon  4/8/2002
18560 Re: For Sally.... :)Reg Boyle   Mon  4/8/2002

emusic.com