Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sally Collyer <scol8413@m...>
Date:  Sun Apr 7, 2002  2:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] For Sally.... :)

At 09:34 AM 7/04/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>Dear Lloyd and Sally,
> On consideration I need to correct two things
>I have written here and add a third. :)

As I tend to do, and do not learn, I replied to your earlier posting
without checking the rest of the in-box. Please excuse me, gentlemen, as I
have raised things in my posting which have been explained in subsequent
postings by Reg.

As Reg raises, the question which looms uppermost in my mind in relation to
the applicability of the square-toothed waveform to vocal fold vibration is
the issue of vocal tract and tracheal (air) inertance. I cannot see how,
even theoretically and under extremely limited circumstances, standing
waves could be induced to generate a square-toothed waveform at source,
which is why this discussion is of great interest.

I would also raise the question of Fourier analysis in relation to the
saw-toothed waveform. My understanding has always been that the theorem
breaks down when the closed quotient exceeds around 50%, which in terms of
vocal fold vibration during singing is disappointingly low. Is that
correct, Reg?

Kind regards

Sally

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18530 Re: For Sally.... :)Reg Boyle   Sun  4/7/2002
18545 Re: For Sally.... :)Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  4/7/2002
18557 Re: For Sally.... :)Reg Boyle   Mon  4/8/2002
18560 Re: For Sally.... :)Reg Boyle   Mon  4/8/2002

emusic.com