Vocalist.org archive

From:  April Salerno <april_salerno@y...>
Date:  Sat Apr 6, 2002  10:52 pm
Subject:  vocal fold fuction regarding vowels/laryngitis

Hello Everyone!

Two questions...

When I was practicing on Thursday evening, I noticed a
MASSIVE break in my lower passaggio (around E4), but
this area normally isn't much of a problem for me. I
usually use a chesty-head mix in that region, but I
could not phonate on an "open" vowel, such as the [a]
(as in "father") unless it was in an odd, breathy,
pure head voice tone, or pure chest. It was like this
throughout my low register. I could, however, produce
my normal 'mixed' tone using the vowel [i] (as in
"eat"). I tried repeatedly to slide from the [i] to
[a] on a single pitch, but it was as though I could
actually feel my vocal folds separate. What accounts
for this? I've been studying voice for nearly 8 years
now, and only in the past year have I been able to
equalize these two vowels. The solution came when I
suspected that my vocal folds just weren't adducting
as they should for the [a], and I had to consciously
work for more closure, without over doing it.

I woke up with laryngitis on Friday. I found it odd,
considering I do not have a cold, cough, flu, fever,
sinus infection, or anything of the kind. Also, aside
from that registration problem in my lower range, my
voice sounded great the night before. I've never
'lost' my voice before without being sick otherwise,
and I haven't been abusing the voice in any way
lately, aside from perhaps singing Thursday when
(unbeknownst to me!) laryngitis was on its way.
I know this is probably more of a common sense
question, but is this common?

=====
April Salerno
B.M. in Vocal Performance
Baldwin-Wallace College
Class of 2002

18518 Re: vocal fold fuction regarding vowels/laryngitiEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Sat  4/6/2002
18527 Re: vocal fold fuction regarding vowels/laryngitiLloyd W. Hanson   Sun  4/7/2002
18529 Re: vocal fold function regarding vowels/laryngitEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Sun  4/7/2002
18528 Re: vocal fold fuction regarding vowels/laryngitiLloyd W. Hanson   Sun  4/7/2002
18533 Re: vocal fold fuction regarding vowels/laryngitivalevanni   Sun  4/7/2002
18537 Re: vocal fold fuction regarding vowels/laryngitiLloyd W. Hanson   Sun  4/7/2002

emusic.com