Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 4, 2002  2:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Male/Female registers (was: how do you define 'head voice'?)

In a message dated 4/4/2002 7:57:21 AM Central Standard Time,
dgrogan@e... writes:

> How do the extrinsic muscles move the folds in a way that helps them resist
> air pressure? I understand how the extrinsic musculature moves the entire
> larynx, but how does it relate to the folds themselves? Thanks!
>
> David Grogan
> Marshall, Texas

Extrinsic musculature (suprahyoid muscles) are used in the act of swallowing
to move the larynx superiorly and anteriorly which in turn creates a very
tight closure of the folds (they close more tightly in this act than in any
other). The excessively lifted larynx in singing approaches this position
contributing to excessive tension and higher subglottal pressure.

An excessively lowered larynx can do the same. Brodnitz (p. 83) speaks of
this in Keep your Voice Healthy. In his discussion of covered singing, with
an excessively lowered larynx, he states that measurements of airflow in this
production are twice what they are in a more open manner of singing. The
reason is because of greater tension of the outer laryngeal muscles and
intrinsic ones also. The excessive recruitment of high larynx muscles will
do the same.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18490 Re: Male/Female registers (was: how do you defineDavid   Thu  4/4/2002
18495 Re: Male/Female registers (was: how do you defineLloyd W. Hanson   Thu  4/4/2002

emusic.com