Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <rossicaio@h...>
Date:  Thu Apr 4, 2002  4:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

Mike:>the simple difference between 'mum' and 'bub', is the opening or
closing of the velar port...this is still true on the lowest
notes in one's range as well as in vocal fry and falsetto. it triggers
nothing<

I know the differences and similarities between a B and an M, or B and V.
You just described how round the Earth is and how that means there can not
be people living 180º from where you stand.

My point is: as it seems, FACTS show that head voice development profits
from nasal sound exercises. Why do you think that is so widely established??
Because it DOESN'T work? How many times haven't you read people's posts here
saying they do or did it and it helps/helped them and their teachers and
students tune into their head voices? As a late uncle of mine used to say:
"against facts, there's no argument".

I know that, according to widely accepted scientific premises, it SHOULDN'T
work. But it does. Therefore, the PREMISES ARE WRONG OR INCOMPLETE. My
"trigger thesis" was an attempt to make sense out of it. It may be wrong,
but that's still got to be explained for, as a matter of fact, it works.

And I respected my uncle very much! ;-[)

Hugs,

Caio

emusic.com