Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Wed Apr 3, 2002  5:42 am
Subject:  process vs. product, was: how do you define 'head voice'?

In a message dated 4/2/2002 10:25:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> Too often, the end result or
> product is the only method of evaluation that is considered and the
> method of achieving that product, that is, the process, is ignored.
> The eventual result is a voice that is affected in such a manner
> that it is no longer able to function in a healthy and efficient
> manner. Product must organically develop from a process that is
> sound physiologically and healthy if the performer is to expect a
> long life in the performance field.

lloyd,

in addition to concerns for the health of the performer, process
delineates the true intentions of the performer. in ordinary conversation,
heated debate, laughter, crying, etc., it is not usual for us to plan the
tone through which we communicate our meaning. instead, we mean only to
make our points clear. in the case of laughter and crying, we express
ourselves in a less than controlled response. whether making a point or
reacting to a situation, our thoughts are on the subject, not the tone of our
voices. despite this, our voices so often reflect how we feel about what we
are saying or, how we are reacting. this 'coloring' of our voice is
inadvertant.

in some ways, it is a gift not to hear or, see ourselves as others do.
so often, we look at ourselves in the mirror or, hear ourselves on an
answering machine and are horrified by what we see or hear, not because we
are so horrible but, because we fail to live up to the absurd expectations we
had hoped we would. a common reaction is to try even harder to live up to
those expectations, further obscuring one's true self. it would be so much
better to use these occasions to accept one's voice or looks and go back to
being one's self and saying what one's self has to say.

consider the success of fake laughter. is that not product oriented?

> As always, you ask the most demanding and interesting questions. I
> hope I can add to their answers in some small way.

thank you for your kindness and thank you for your participation in
the ongoing discussion.

mike

emusic.com