Vocalist.org archive

From:  MFoxy9795@a...
Date:  Tue May 23, 2000  3:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Weddings & Funerals & Money

> I'd say try and find your own pianist is always safest, and charge
> accordingly. And with funerals, things are so last minute and
disorganized,
> it's good to have someone you know, rather than whomever the people in
> charge managed to get last minute. I've also played for funerals - again
> last minute, and it's not that i'm an awful pianist, but sometimes things
> are so tightly scheduled I KNOW I don't have time to prepare for it and so
> grab an easy hymn, but playing for soloists is another story....

if the church has a regular organist, that person gets first refusal of
weddings and funerals in said church as a matter of ethics as set forth by
the AGO. So, if you are asked to sing in a particular church, the organist
pretty well comes with the territory, unless they are unavailable for some
reason, or the wedding party or family of the deceased doesn't mind paying
the organist their fee and also a fee to someone else they want to have play.

and just because funerals are short notice doesn't mean they have to be
disorganized if you have organized (ouch, no pun intended!) organists and
clergy! one can prepare for funerals in general, because there are pretty
standard things that get sung and played, so you don't have to grab for that
easy hymn.

Merry Foxworth

emusic.com