Vocalist.org archive

From:  "didigirl12000" <didigirl1@j...>
Date:  Wed Apr 3, 2002  3:43 am
Subject:  Re: Head voice/Chest Voice

After reading all this discussion on head voice I have a question
about singing in chest voice. Okay I'm trained classically. I'm told
to place my voice, to sing forward (is that the same thing?). I am a
soprano and sing mostly in my head voice I would say. But recently
I've had to sing a few songs in chest voice and it always confuses
me! When singing in chest are you still singing forward? Are you
still singing in the mask? It feels very different for me than
singing in head voice - and I'm actually not comfortable with it
probably because I don't do it often. But my teacher says to sing in
chest as if I am talking and when I do then it doesn't feel so weird -
just very different than in head voice and not as "free". I always
gets these terms mixed up in my mind. I know when I sing in chest "as
if I am talking - but to a melody" it doesn't feel like I am
straining my voice. When I sing along with pop singers (listening to
radio) who belt I end up singing the way they do and that feels
strange to me. It reminds me of the way I used to sing before voice
lessons - when I had an obvious break in my voice. But now I don't
feel that obvious break that I used to have and you don't hear it
either. Maybe that is some of what is confusing me about chest voice.
So now I have been able to accomplish going from from chest to head
smoothly from these years of training but I'm still not sure if I'm
supposed to sing forward while in chest. I am confusing myself just
typing all this. I hope this question makes sense and someone can
respond.

Didi

P.S. I'm told I have a broad range - don't know if that helps.

emusic.com