Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Apr 2, 2002  8:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Mother's Day Songs...

ART SONGS:

Ireland: The song-cycle MOTHER AND CHILD

Telemann: Mutter-Sohne

Miss L.H. of Liverpool: My mother

Dvorak: Als die alte Mutter (Songs my mother taught me) (op 55 #4)

Ives: Songs my mother taught me (Kz26)

Rossini: A ma belle mere (from PECHES DE VIELLESSE, Book 11)

Bixio: Mamma

Viardot-Garcia: L'enfant et la mere

Shostakovich: Zabotlivyje mama i tjotja (Thoughtful mother and aunt) (IZ
IEVREISKOI NARODNOI PO'EZII (ON JEWISH FOLK POETRY) op 79a)

Stephen Foster: A dream of my mother and my home; Leave me with my mother;
Mother, thou'rt faithful to me; Oh! tell me of my mother!

POPULAR:

The classic Johnson and Morse song "M-O-T-H-E-R (A Word that Means the
World to Me)"

Lewis & Young: My Mammy - made famous by Al Jolson

Charles Aznavour: La mamma

The Beatles: Your mother should know

Sigmund Romberg: Mother (MY MARYLAND)

Ivor Novello: And her mother came too

Simon & Garfukel: Mother and Child Reunion

FOLK-SONGS:

Das Lied, das meine Mutter sang (German)

The bad mother (Moravian)

The Cruel Mother (English)

Dearest mother busy now must be (Hungarian)

O grieve you now, my mother (spiritual)

Take my mother home (spiritual)

MOTHER-THEMED DUETS & ENSEMBLES:

Tenor/Soprano: Parle-moi de ma mere (Bizet: CARMEN, act I)

Two females: If momma was married (Styne: GYPSY)

Soprano/Mezzo/Baritone (or Bass): Ta mere, oses-tu l'interroger
(Offenbach: LES CONTES D'HOFFMANN)

SAD or TROUBLING MOTHER-THEMED ARIAS and SONGS:

Mascagni: Mamma!...Quel vino (CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA)

Schumann: Muttertraum (op 40 #2)

Grieg: Ved Moders Grav (op 69 #3)

Mahler: KINDERTOTENLIEDER

Giordano: "La mamma morta" (ANDREA CHENIER)

Puccini: "Senza mamma" (SUOR ANGELICA)

Vaughan Williams: "Life must be full of care" (HUGH THE DROVER)

Schubert: Lied (Mutter geht durch ihre Kammern), D.373

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.