Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Apr 2, 2002  6:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Ideas for a retirement party?

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, didigirl12000 wrote:

> I was asked to sing for my Dad's retirement party. The crowd does not
> go for classical music. If anyone has suggestions- I'm all for them.
> I'm having a hard time coming up with a song.

Given it's your dad, why not sing Cole Porter's "My heart belongs to
Daddy"? Or the German song "O mein Papa".

There's always "My way" by Paul Anka (Frank Sinatra's signature tune).

Cole Porter's "Friendship" is another possibility.

Depending on what generation your dad is from, he might get a kick out of
Billy Joel's song "Keeping the Faith" (if you feel comfortable singing
it).

Another possibility is "Move on" from Sondheim's SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH
GEORGE. There's a solo arrangement of this duet in the Barbra Streisand
Back to Broadway songbook.

There's also the Burke/Monaco song "A pocket full of dreams" that might be
appropriate. Or if you want to be somewhat more "inspirational", how
about "Climb ev'ry mountain" from THE SOUND OF MUSIC?

You might also do a (slightly modified) version of Sarah McLaghlan's "I
will remember you (will you remember me?)".

There's also "I'll see you again" from Noel Coward's BITTER SWEET, or
Sammy Fain's "I'll be seeing you", or Cole Porter's "Ev'ry time we say
goodbye", or Harold Arlen's "This Shining Hour" or (slightly modified)
his "Don't like goodbyes".

Depending on what your dad's planning to do after retirement, you might do
a song like Kramer/Whitney "Faraway places", or Cole Porter's "Don't fence
me in," or Jerome Kern's "There's a hill beyond a hill", or more
humorously, Rodgers & Hart's "Hallelujia, I'm a bum" (if he's going to
travel), or Gershwin's "The Simple Life" (if he's not).

You might also do "Before the parade passes by" from Jerry Herman's HELLO
DOLLY!

Then there are the songs I strongly urge you NOT to sing: Charles
Aznavour's "Yesterday when I was young" and Harry Chapin's "Cat's in
the Cradle".

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
In all thy ways acknowledge him,
and he shall direct thy paths.
- Proverbs 3:6

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18415 Re: Ideas for a retirement party?thomas mark montgomery   Tue  4/2/2002

emusic.com