Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sally Collyer <scol8413@m...>
Date:  Tue Apr 2, 2002  12:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

Dear Reg

>My answer...not falsetto. Falsetto implies an almost total
>absence of ODD harmonics of the fundamental frequency.

I would be fascinated to see the spectra to which you are referring, if you
would be kind enough to send them to me. The only spectra I have ever
encountered with reduced alternate partials are those containing
subharmonics, which is quite clearly a different situation from falsetto.

>Head voice requires cord contact but will most likely be
>asymmetrical in this contact, thus producing the required
>harmonics or overtones, as some like to call them.

To what sort of asymmetry are you referring? Do you mean that the vocal
fold edge is straight in one fold but not the other? That they are
different lengths? Or contact depths? I have not before come across the
concept of asymmetry as intrinsic to a register and would be very
interested to read your sources.

Kind regards

Sally

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18403 Re: how do you define 'head voice'?Reg Boyle   Tue  4/2/2002

emusic.com