Vocalist.org archive

From:  l.s.mountford@a...
Date:  Mon Apr 1, 2002  10:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] UMKC

This is MY alma mater, sort of. I studied piano at the
UMKC Conservatory from 1960-1969, and again from 1970-
1972 (when I went to KU).

It's also David Okerlund's alma mater. He did the SF
Opera Merola Program and was an Adler Fellow, and now is
one of their "regular" baritones. See his website at:

http://davidokerlund.net/

(He's one of my favorite singers -- when I sang with
Masterworks Chorale in CA, he was often featured as a
soloist, before he really hit the big time. As I
recall, his undergraduate degree was in cello, and he
did his masters in voice performance at UMKC)

Daniel Helfgot is on faculty there -- he's fairly well-
known around SFO as the assistant director under Kurt
Herbert Adler. Also on faculty is Anne De Launay, a
dramatic soprano, who has quite a good reputation for
producing really outstanding students.

The setting is quite nice, too -- it's right in the
middle of the city, between the Country Club Plaza (a
really nice **OLD** shopping district with tons of
fountains) and Westport -- one of the oldest parts of
the city, with lots of good jazz, clubs, etc.

I've often said I'd return to KC in a heartbeat if it
weren't for the weather. :-)

Cheers!

Lana Mountford
(who has gotten used to living in milder climes, but
still has a soft spot in her heart for her old home town)

Get the award winning ISP, AT&T WorldNet Service
http://download.att.net/webtag

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18398 Re: UMKCjames   Mon  4/1/2002
18401 Re: UMKCMolly McLinden   Tue  4/2/2002

emusic.com